Re: CRIME Perspective on Criticisms leveled at Microsoft

From: Toby (toby@private)
Date: Fri Apr 12 2002 - 17:44:28 PDT

    Crispin Cowan writes:

    > Ah, yes, the productivity argument. Microsoft argues that Windows
    > reduces costs because you can employ relatively low-tech admin staff to
    > manage these "easy to use" systems. What they leave out is the
    > astronomical cost of securing Windows, and the fact that you need
    > approximately TEN TIMES as many admins to keep a Windows server farm
    > running as compared to a similarly sized *NIX farm.
    >
    > Even Intel was unable to make their Windows compute farm running. They
    > eventually gave up and replaced the whole mess with FreeBSD, because
    > they were sick and tired of dealing with Windows pitiful stability. The
    > effect of instability is magnified when you scale up to dozens or
    > hundreds of machines. With a large enough Windows farm, chairs with
    > wheels become a critical part of your productivity, so that the guy who
    > re-boots the wedged Windows boxen can scoot from dead node to dead node
    > fast enough to keep them running.

    Actually, to the best of my knowledge this is not the case anymore (if it
    was at one point I don't know). Right now the compute farms contain
    multiple OS- WindowsNT, Windows2K, Linux, HPUX, AIX to name just some of
    them. The people who care for them are rediculously good- hence their
    ability to manage them effectively and keep stable and secured builds.