Re: CRIME IDS, or content filtering

From: Crispin Cowan (crispin@private)
Date: Fri Apr 12 2002 - 18:33:42 PDT

    Zot O'Connor wrote:

    >On Fri, 2002-04-12 at 14:37, Toby wrote:
    >
    >>Yes, but ZoneAlarm is NOT an IDS. It is a firewall with some other
    >>abilities because it is on a host. Run IIS on two systems- load blackICE on
    >>
    >What does examining the protocol make BlackICE and IDS?  I would

    Quoting verbatim from my post last week to firewall wizards:

    "Intrusion Detection" is what you call it when your security mechanism
    is so slow, innacurate, or otherwise broken that you cannot actually use
    it as an access control policy :-)

    Consider the firewall vs. the network IDS box:

        * They both have a policy set that categorizes packets (or streams
          there of) into "good" and "bad".
        * The firewall's rules are conservative: if it is "bad", it is
          *really* bad, so the firewall blocks it.
        * The NIDS rules are heuristic: if it is "bad", it whines to the
          human, who investigates whether it is really bad.

    Consider the host IDS (HIDS) vs. the access control system:

        * Again, both have a policy that categorizes accesses (or patterns
          there of) into "good" and "bad".
        * The access control policy is conservative: if it is "bad" then the
          access is denied.
        * The HIDS is heuristic: if it sees "bad" access patterns, it whines
          to a human who investigates.

    This is not to say that IDS is without value. Because IDS is permitted
    to have a false-positive rate, it can use much more sensitive
    techniques, and therefore potentially detect attacks that the access
    control system would have missed. The cost is in the administrative
    overhead of having a human read the IDS output and apply further wetware
    filters to it.

    But beware: as soon as you hook your IDS to an access control mechanism,
    so that when the IDS detects something it closes off access, what you
    have just done is build a flakey access control policy. If you thought
    the costs of managing IDSs was high, wait until you try this :)

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.