Re: CRIME Re: cryptography

From: Alan (alan@private)
Date: Fri Apr 19 2002 - 10:21:04 PDT

    On Friday 19 April 2002 12:23 am, Heidi Henry wrote:
    > Zot wrote:You might want to check critical data flows, but I'd be more
    > worried about data storage than transmission (if the transmission is
    > encrypted).
    >
    > 1.  If the transmission is encrypted: Sophisticated attackers are known to
    > establish encrypted channels, rendering network surveillance ineffective,
    > however it is still effective for proving that a communication occurred
    > between IP addresses. If a legal case should develop, this could become a
    > valuable link for evidence.  (If I am wrong on this I am sure someone with
    > more knowledge will correct me, which is very welcome, the technology and
    > evidence rules in this field seems to be constantly changing)

    Assuming that they are not taking into account means to prevent traffic
    analysis.  (Onion routing or re-mailer nets or the like.)  Much work has been
    done in this area, bot by the Feds (for protecting their traffic) and
    Cypherpunks (for protecting everyone else's traffic).

    > 2.  Data storage: Is it still true that PKzip compressed files have no
    > known method to extract well chosen passwords,  (not including brute-force
    > or Beowulf cluster) or are there cracking tools available now that do not
    > take weeks to make a successful crack?

    PKZip encryption has been broken for over five years.  Even then, people do
    not choose good passwords.

    If you are going to encrypt a file on a hard drive, you are better off using
    GPG or something else that uses known strong algorithms.