Re: CRIME W32/Klez.H@mm question

From: Seth Arnold (sarnold@private)
Date: Mon Apr 22 2002 - 16:18:59 PDT

    On Mon, Apr 22, 2002 at 03:04:18PM -0700, T. Kenji Sugahara wrote:
    > I'm running OS X (root disabled of course) with a non-microsoft mail
    > app and I've had a few e-mail bounces returned to me saying that they
    > have quarantined documents that I sent them. I have no recollection
    > of sending e-mails to these individuals.

    A common spamming approach involves forging the From: and From_ headers
    of emails -- when they are set to addresses that actually exist, but are
    innocent, it is termed "joe-jobbing". You may be the victim of
    joe-jobbing.

    Or, one problem I encounter frequently is my GPG signatures on emails
    sent to, e.g., bugtraq, come bouncing back from dozens of peoples
    claiming their virus software quarantined my virus. (And, while I know
    that Microsoft thinks GPL code is a virus, I always figured GPG
    signatures were rather .. inert. :)

    If you've sent emails with attachments (no matter the type) to mail
    lists, that could explain the bounces.

    --
    http://sardonix.org/