RE: CRIME catastrophic Hard Drive Data Recovery Options?

From: Myers, Mike (Mike.Myers@private-LMCO.com)
Date: Tue May 07 2002 - 07:46:13 PDT

    My one experience with the clean-room approach was assisting another person.
    I can't recall which company we used, but it was one that would preserve the
    warranty on the drive (back before drives were so darn cheap).  They charged
    a fee (a little over $100 as I recall) to open and examine the drive in a
    clean-room and provide an estimate on recovery.  Unfortunately, they found
    the drive head had physically scraped the recording media off the platters
    and there was nothing they could do.

    My only consolation was that all that powdered media had to cost them some
    $$ to remove from their clean room :)

    Cheers,
     - Mike.Myers@private-lmco.com