Re: CRIME catostrophic Hard Drive Data Recovery Options?

From: Alan (alan@private)
Date: Tue May 07 2002 - 09:12:32 PDT

    On Mon, 2002-05-06 at 10:37, Colin Walker wrote:
    > Good day;
    > 	I know this isn't exactly on topic but I am hoping someone may be
    > able to help me. A friend of mine had a catastrophic home problem this
    > weekend that left his computer rather unusable. Does anyone have a
    > suggestion for a Hard Drive data recovery company? Who would you recommend?

    It depends on what kind of hard drive problem it is.

    If it is a head crash or other damage to the physical media of the
    drive, then you will have to go to a place like OnTrack and have them do
    it.  Very expensive and may not get everything depending on the damage.

    If the board on the drive is fried, you can sometimes replace it with a
    board from the exact same model of the drive.  I have done this with one
    system, but it is pretty tricky.  (If you do this, I would not mount the
    drive with Windows or anything else that will automatically try to
    "repair" the drive.)

    If it is a software damage problem, the actions you want to take depend
    on the damage.  There are tricks to recover partition table information.
    There are also tricks to recover other types of munged data.  D3epends
    on the OS and the type of damage.

    Without more details it is hard to tell which direction to point you.