Re: CRIME [Fwd: FPC-News - A terrorist attack on your privacy]

From: T. Kenji Sugahara (sugahara@private)
Date: Thu May 16 2002 - 12:21:22 PDT

    In October of 2001, CCIPS of the USDOJ issued guidance on the practical
    implications of the Patriot Act on investigation of computer crimes.
    These guidelines can be found at:
    http://www.usdoj.gov/criminal/cybercrime/PatriotAct.htm

    The article by Philipp Harper takes the Patriot Act to its most extreme.

    "By asserting that intelligence surveillance is a "significant" purpose
    of a wiretap,
    law enforcement officials whose real purpose is to gather evidence of a
    crime no longer have to show probable cause to obtain wiretap
    authority."  First off, the statutes that he obliquely references are
    those that reflect the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act of 1978.
    The two statutes amended in the Patriot Act are 50 USC 1804 and 50 USC
    1823.  Both of these statutes target foreign powers or agents of foreign
    powers, not your plain Joe US citizen.  Mr. Harper fails to include the
    other relevant portions of the statutes.  Taken out of context, these
    amendments seem to indicate draconian action is being taken.  (See
    Footnote 1 for an example)

    "Makes it easier to access Internet communications. To gain a court order
    permitting monitoring of an individual's Internet activity, law
    enforcement groups simply must certify to a judge that the information
    is "relevant to an ongoing criminal investigation." Once the required
    phrase is invoked, the judge has no choice but to grant the order."  Mr.
    Harper fails to mention that this concerns an order for a pen trap and
    trace device.  In addition, he fails to mention that an order must be
    given only "if the court finds that the attorney for the Government has
    certified to the court that the information likely to be obtained by
    such installation and use is relevant to an ongoing criminal
    investigation."  Thus it has to be likely that relevant information will
    be found.  e.g. it can't be a fishing expedition.  Mr. Harper also
    implies that the change mandates a court order.  If you read the statute
    before it was amended, it still required that a court order be granted.
    No big draconian change here.  See

    In terms of domestic terrorism, Mr. Harper  fails to include the rest of
    the definition.  The relevant portion reading:
    Domestic terrorism means activities that:  A. involve acts dangerous to
    human life that are a violation of the criminal laws of the United
    States or of any State; B. appear to be intended (i) to intimidate or
    coerce a civilian population; (ii) to influence the policy of a
    government by intimidation or coercion; (iii) to affect the conduct of a
    government by mass destruction, assassination, or kidnapping; and (C)
    occur primarily within the territorial jurisdiction of the United States.

    Mr. Harper posits "even members of groups that exist to protest
    abortion, environmental or economic policies could be classified as
    terrorists."  Yes, those groups would be targeted if they engage in
    behavior that is dangerous to human life (& are in violation of the
    laws) that appear to be intended to "coerce and intimidate."  This gives
    the government the capability to designate groups such as the ELF (which
    engages in arson [a felony] and other destructive behavior) or the Army
    of God (which promotes the killing of medical personnel that perform
    abortions) as domestic terrorists.  This is not squelching free speech,
    but is targeting dangerous behavior.

    I could go on about Mr. Harper's erroneous reporting, but for the sake
    of the reader and of my time, this is as far as I will go.

    Footnote 1

    For example, under 50 USC 1804, each application for an order approving
    electronic surveillance under this subchapter has to be made by a
    Federal officer in writing upon oath or affirmation to a judge having
    jurisdiction under section 1803.  The oath HAS to include the following
    information:  the identity of the federal officer making the
    application, the authority to make the application, the identity (if
    known) or a description of the target of the electronic surveillance,
    and a statement of facts.  The statement of facts and circumstances must
    outline the facts which justify the applicants belief that (a) the
    target of the electronic surveillance is a foreign power or an agent of
    a foreign power; and (b) each of the facilities or places at which the
    electronic surveillance is directed is being used, or is about to be
    used, by a foreign power or an agent of a foreign power.  The
    application must also include a detailed description of the nature of
    the information sought and the type of communications or activities
    subject to the surveillance.  Furthermore the significant purpose of the
    surveillance is to obtain foreign intelligence information and that the
    information cannot be ---reasonably--- be obtained by normal
    investigative techniques.
    The amendment referenced by Mr. Harper only changes one aspect of the
    law.  It does not release law enforcement from the other requirements of
    the statute.  This is far from the suggestion that these are draconian
    measures.

    T. Kenji Sugahara
    Chief Operating Officer
    counterclaim