Re: CRIME Virus list

From: John McHugh (jmchugh@private)
Date: Wed May 22 2002 - 12:05:43 PDT

    I can't help weighing in on this.  I read my mail on a Unix host,
    using rmail mode in emacs. (the emacs is running in an X window on my
    W2K desktop box (or on my OSX MAC laptop)).

    In this mode, I see the entire message, MIME headers, and all.  In
    particular, I see the foo.jpg.exe file names that attempt to hide as
    something else, etc.  In the unlikely event that I want to deal with
    the attachment, I bracket it with the emacs "point" and "mark" and do
    a M-x MIME-decode-region which invokes a decoder to extract the file
    and put it on disk in a directory reserved for attachments.  If I
    actually want to do something with it, I invoke the appropriate
    windows program and point it at the file.  The only files that I have
    any reason to want to open are usually word, powerpoint, and excel
    files from known (and expected) sources, and I have macros turned off
    in those applications.  Mail in unknown formats or that starts with
    html is immediately deleted.

    Thus far, I have had no problems

    John