Re: CRIME Korean spam & Klez

From: John E Jewkes-AAA0OR-AAA0ID (aar0mi@private)
Date: Wed May 22 2002 - 17:26:40 PDT

    Symantec and others have 'safe mode' Windows software that removes and
    finds ALL
    traces of the KLEZ derivitives. They keep it on their public portion of
    the website even...
    so, all is not lost....

    de John Jewkes, SMD US ARMY MARS
    Oregon/Idaho State Director
    AAA0OR OR/AAA0ID ID/AAR0MI OR
    W6HNC

    On Tue, 21 May 2002 19:12:39 -0700 Seth Arnold <sarnold@private>
    writes:
    > On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 05:48:44PM -0700, Heidi Henry wrote:
    >
    > [Heidi, your emails would be easier to read if you wrapped your
    > lines at
    > 72 characters. Thanks.]
    >
    > > I know of several people who have been having a big problem with
    > > receiving Korean Spam e-mails.  One in particular, receives eight
    > plus
    > > Korean spam mails per day.  This has greatly disrupted their
    > business.
    >
    > Yeah; I'm surprised there are so few anti-spam laws on the books to
    > protect email in the same way facsimile and cellular phones are
    > protected.
    >
    > Until we have some method of enforcing legal restraint, one is left
    > using the various RBLs and filters. Spamassassin good. Using an RBL
    > or
    > two at the incoming email server is good too.
    >
    > > As this is greatly disrupting businesses, both by the Korean spam
    > > e-mails and the Klez virus, what is the best method for removing
    > the
    > > virus, formatting their hard drives on the personal PCs?  What
    > about
    > > on the network drives?
    >
    > I'm not sure about removing klez. Of course a format will do the
    > job,
    > but it can be a bit drastic. Perhaps the lesson to learn once it
    > _is_
    > removed is that there are mail clients that are more resistent to
    > virii
    > than outlook or outlook express. Many of us used some of them for
    > years.
    > :) Pegasus, Eudora, Netscape Communicator, maybe Opera has one now,
    > don't know.. But I think people should have learned by now that
    > some
    > mail clients should be avoided -- if for no other reason than their
    > significant financial costs once every four months.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > --
    > http://sardonix.org/

    GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!