Re: CRIME Virus list

From: Ben Barrett (barrett@private)
Date: Wed May 22 2002 - 19:55:19 PDT

All this discussion made me want to post the most-respected recent tool
I've been hearing about... a number of friends at some local ISP's are
loving it -- it does take a little longer to configure but is extremely
versatile and configurable.  SpamAssassin:
http://www.spamassassin.org/
There is a small writeup about it in the latest Linux Journal (though it
is not just for linux... but it is *not* generally for the end-user, it
is made for a real mailhost.  Suggest it to your ISP or SysAdmin...)

Does anyone know if email preference services work, or help?
I found this one while hunting around:
http://www.dmaconsumers.org/emps.html

You might also be interested in spamcop's statistics:
 http://spamcop.net/spamstats.shtml
(they also have some mailing list archives which you can search)

Spam Buster is another tool, for windows users:
http://www.contactplus.com/products/spam/spamover/overview2.htm
(free version uses banners, $20 reg removes them)

and of course, if you're into software, you'll check freshmeat.net:
http://freshmeat.net/search/?q=spam&filter=&orderby=rating_DESC

Incidentally, I don't get ANY virii, and only a few spams per month....
I use evolution, which is an X-windows email program which is
very slick and full-featured:
http://www.ximian.com/products/ximian_evolution/
(It does not require ximian software, though -- I use apt-get on
a redhat system for incredible ease and compatiblity... they're also
planning on releasing their Connector, which uses an M$ Exchange server,
to OS X)

I think if more corporate workplaces ran an email server that also ran
the email program (say, evolution over remote X or VNC on a fast LAN),
management would be much simpler and many unwieldy concerns could be
eliminated.  I am in the school of thought where a document should be
separate from a program, not arbitrarily meshed like M$ does.

Good luck everyone!  And keep me *out* of Outlook!!!
Ben Barrett
Software & Systems Engineer
counterclaim
Phone: 541.484.9235