RE: CRIME Kayak rental info.

From: Alan (alan@private)
Date: Fri Jun 07 2002 - 12:52:59 PDT

    On Fri, 2002-06-07 at 13:30, Jerry Krummel wrote:
    > I found this letter and article very interesting. Many times we over react
    > and now may be one of those times. Congress is quizzing the CIA, FBI and
    > President on what they knew, when they knew it and why the gov't didn't warn
    > the country. Part of which has been driven by the press. So we turn to
    > warning about everything. While I would agree warnings are important, I
    > think the author is correct, life is a risk. As much as we want the
    > government to protect us, we must also carry some of the responsibility to
    > protect ourselves.

    The warnings bother me, but not for the usual reasons.  Most of the
    warning sound like they were derived by a bunch of people getting stoned
    out of their minds and then coming up with scenarios of what might
    happen.

    "Dude! They could be using scuba divers to blow up stuff! That would be
    cool!"

    The reported threats are so unfocused that they are either made by
    people under the influence or people just making things up.  They also
    have so little information as to be useless.  The only purpose is to
    keep people in a low-level state of fear at all times.  After a while,
    people will just ignore the warnings and go on with their lives.  If a
    real warning does happen, it will be ignored, just like the last batch
    of vague warnings.

    Maybe they are just trying to bankrupt us.  Spending huge amounts of
    money on pointless security measures until it breaks our economy.
    (Personally I think it is already happening.)

    As for protecting ourselves...  That is no longer allowed in most
    cases.  Any public place where people are gathered and might be a
    "target", any means of self-protection is removed from you.  Soon,
    anyone in a public place will no longer be allowed to have anything
    sharper than a rubber ball.  (And it cannot be a small rubber ball or
    they might choke on it.)