Re: CRIME postings/e-mail from Heidi Henry -mcps@private

From: Crispin Cowan (crispin@private)
Date: Thu Jun 20 2002 - 13:37:34 PDT

    Ben Barrett wrote:

    >Can anyone recommend a review of free webmail accounts?

    If you are very concerned about security and privacy, I would avoid all
    free webmail accounts. You are fundamentally exposing all of your mail
    to the company, depending on them for privacy and integrity. You aren't
    even paying them for it, so their loyalty is to their *customers*, who
    are advertisers.

    >I think hushmail.com would be somewhat better but there
    >are many others of course...

    Allegedly about 3/4 of the anonymizing services out there are actually
    NSA/CIA/FBI shills, trolling for terrorists.

    >  Heidi, I hope we find the
    >real you again soon  : )   This is indeed a good heads-up
    >for the mailing list... darned protocols!

    It is widely said that "mail" is a bad metaphor for e-mail: it is more
    like a postcard, with the contents written on the outside.

    If you want authenticity in your e-mail, use PGP, GPG, or S/MIME.

    >PS - Would anyone recommend (the book described at) http://white-hat.org/?

    I used it as the text book for my course
    <http://www.cse.ogi.edu/%7Ecrispin/527/> this quarter. It's a good book,
    but probably not a very good text book. It is strong on basic
    operational things (best practices, how to do that) and weak on
    surveying security technology. I had to add a lot of supplemental
    material, especially for intrusion detection, and secure operating
    systems. It's really a good book, but it didn't fit my course needs very
    well. The author (Avi Ruben) is definitely a *top* security researcher.

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.
    Chief Scientist, WireX Communications, Inc. http://wirex.com/~crispin/