CRIME Study: Open, closed source equally secure

From: Andrew Plato (aplato@private)
Date: Thu Jun 20 2002 - 19:14:00 PDT

    Just stumbled across this interesting story...I am sure it will fan some flames.

    Proprietary programs should mathematically be as secure as those developed under the open-source model, a Cambridge University researcher argued in a paper presented Thursday at a technical conference in Toulouse, France.

    In his paper, computer scientist Ross Anderson used an analysis equating finding software bugs to testing programs for the mean time before failure, a measure of quality frequently used by manufacturers. Under the analysis, Anderson found that his ideal "open-source" programs were as secure as the "closed-source" programs.

    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=70&e=1&cid=70&u=/cn/20020621/tc_cn/938124

    Now what will really bake your noodle is: do we consider that a set-back for open-source or a triumph for closed source?

    Andrew Plato, CISSP
    President / Principal Consultant
    Anitian Corporation

    (503) 644-5656 office