RE: CRIME EarthLink Password Security Story

From: SCRIMSHER,JOHN (HP-Corvallis,ex1) (john_scrimsher@private)
Date: Sun Jun 23 2002 - 11:13:01 PDT

    > Come on.  Be real.  Does access to the mall entrance allow
    > access to locked doors?
    >
    > No.
    >
    > Even if the locks suck.

    I believe that I was being real... In no way did I imply that entrance to
    locked doors would be allowed. What I was stating was unlocked, unmarked
    doors.  Having worked retail in the past, I know for a fact that it is not
    unusual to have a customer that is looking for something to attempt to look
    behind a closed door, in the hopes that it may be another showroom or
    possibly a bathroom.  Many older smaller hardware and automotive stores have
    multiple rooms with bolts here, screws there... People frequently "search"
    to find what they want.

    If a door is locked, no matter how bad of a system, it would be wrong
    because you are circumventing a method of authorization.

    John