Re: CRIME FW: scam mail, received as URGENT ASSISTANCE

From: Robert Myles (mylesr@private)
Date: Wed Jul 10 2002 - 07:25:57 PDT

    Tim,

    Your statement is right on track.  These are targeted scams that individuals use to try to get financial information from unwitting victims.  When the individual sends that information to the Scam Artist, they use the financial data to wipe out your accounts.  To report these, send the entire e-mail to the U.S. Secret service at 419.fcd@private  They track and prosecute where they can.

    Robert Myles, CISSP
    Information Security Officer
    Oregon Health & Science University
    Mail Code AD140
    2525 SW 1st Avenue
    Portland, OR  97201
    Tel:   503-494-8500
    Fax:   503-494-8850
    Cell:   503-329-9972
    mylesr@private

    >>> Tim Kramer <kramert@private> 7/10/2002 4:54:51 AM >>>
    This is a variant of what's known as "advanced fee fraud", otherwise
    known as Nigerian 419 fraud.  The objective here is (more or less)
    identity theft (cleaning out your bank account, etc.).  Rumor has it
    that kidnapping has been involved.

    For more information about this, Google for "advance fee fraud".  You'll
    get quite a large list of sites describing this.  I recommend that you
    stick to the ".gov" sites and avoid the "baiting N-419" sites (a
    dangerous form of entertainment).  Unless you actually lost money in the
    scam (various gov't agencies are interested if you did), the best thing
    you can do is educate your coworkers.

    Tim Kramer
    MLRNOC NSO