Re: CRIME FW: scam mail, received as URGENT ASSISTANCE

From: Gregory D. Nowicki (Greg) (greg@private)
Date: Wed Jul 10 2002 - 09:52:26 PDT

    If you would like to look, this month's Wired magazine (August 2002) has a
    short piece on this scam. Page 30. Someone attempted to scam to scammer and
    to a certain extent, it was successful. They also have a webpage with the
    final message to the scam artist. But it's on a transfer limit site which
    has been in the exceeded state since the article came out.
    http://willcoxinfo.bravepages.com/bankwire.htm

    Regards,

    Greg

    At 07:25 AM 7/10/02 -0700, Robert Myles wrote:

    >Tim,
    >
    >Your statement is right on track.  These are targeted scams that
    >individuals use to try to get financial information from unwitting
    >victims.  When the individual sends that information to the Scam Artist,
    >they use the financial data to wipe out your accounts.  To report these,
    >send the entire e-mail to the U.S. Secret service at
    ><mailto:419.fcd@private>419.fcd@private  They track and
    >prosecute where they can.
    >
    >Robert Myles, CISSP
    >Information Security Officer
    >Oregon Health & Science University
    >Mail Code AD140
    >2525 SW 1st Avenue
    >Portland, OR  97201
    >Tel:   503-494-8500
    >Fax:   503-494-8850
    >Cell:   503-329-9972
    ><mailto:mylesr@private>mylesr@private

    >This is a variant of what's known as "advanced fee fraud", otherwise
    >known as Nigerian 419 fraud.  The objective here is (more or less)
    >identity theft (cleaning out your bank account, etc.).  Rumor has it
    >that kidnapping has been involved.
    >
    >For more information about this, Google for "advance fee fraud".  You'll
    >get quite a large list of sites describing this.  I recommend that you
    >stick to the ".gov" sites and avoid the "baiting N-419" sites (a
    >dangerous form of entertainment).  Unless you actually lost money in the
    >scam (various gov't agencies are interested if you did), the best thing
    >you can do is educate your coworkers.
    >
    >Tim Kramer
    >MLRNOC NSO
    >

    >On Tue, 2002-07-09 at 14:24, Rob Martin wrote:
    > > A co-worker of mine received this today, and I'm not sure who to inform.
    > > Sorry to clog your email box with one more message.
    > >
    > > rob

    [original message snipped]

    ---