RE: CRIME Re: TIPS

From: Gunderson_Dane (dane.gunderson@private)
Date: Fri Jul 19 2002 - 08:54:46 PDT

        Dear Sir,

        Thankyou for your invitation for comment as I do not envy you your duty.

        TIPS primary failing is that it seeks to protect us from an external
    threat through internal scrutiny.  That's like building a hospital at the
    base of the cliff instead of a guard rail on the cliff side itself. ( Or in
    this case looking in my window instead of doing something that might
    actually protect this country. )

        I think that over the years the ACLU's scope of action has so narrowed
    as to justify criticisms they are advancing an agenda.  Certainly the
    Washington Post and CNN have displayed identifiable, though self-denied,
    bias in what, and how, they report 'news'.  In spite of that anticipated
    slant my first reaction to a review of the 6 links below was an astonished
    and sarcastic "I love Big Brother".

        It's worth noting that those with a self proclaimed bias to the right
    share the reservations about TIPS.

        http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/comment-levy071802.asp

        And the more clearly identified left is going crazy.

    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2002/07/19/MN208677.DTL

        Overseas is mirroring the 'stasi' criticism.

        http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/primenews/story/0,1870,132219,00.html?

        Why this broad spectrum of criticism from so many with such different
    views?  I think it's because TIPS parallel's the government's dishonest and
    ineffective approach to Air safety.  "Cavity search 'em all so we don't
    offend some" has now been expanded to "Spy on 'em all so we don't offend
    some".  When the FBI uses intuition, psychic ability and the 'power of the
    force' to profile a suspect in a child abduction case why do we ignore the
    clearly identifiable attributes of the 'profile' of the state supported
    terrorists that have declared war upon this country's citizenry?  Though
    these terrorists are a minority of the people of those countries those
    societies are medieval in their intolerance and therefore bring scrutiny
    upon themselves as the terrorist's activities enjoy government and media
    support within those countries.  Thorough VISA checks and follow up are
    hardly 'internment camps' are they?
        The threat is external so I would appreciate it if the government would
    quit passing laws and instituting programs that in the years to come will be
    reviled, and overturned, for their obvious constitutional shortcomings.  Our
    civil liberties should not be at issue as the threat is external and every
    attempt to limit our civil liberties is therefore unconscionable.

        I would like to volunteer to help compile the blizzard of information
    regarding threats to our country I just can't because I don't think the
    people of this country are the threat... and apparently neither does anybody
    else.

        Oh and by the way... God bless the US Coast Guard and all those who toil
    that we may indulge ourselves in our freedoms.

        Dane