Re: [RE: CRIME Re: TIPS]

From: Jere Retzer (retzerj@private)
Date: Fri Jul 19 2002 - 09:27:08 PDT

    I think TIPS is a fine idea. A few people will undoubtedly get carried away but most of us would be very happy to have a good number to call in the event that they see something that seems to reflect terrorist activities/groups. I do not see it as the Stasi, J. Edgar Hoover's enemy list or Joe McCarthy reincarnated.

    >>> "J.Michael Cuciti" <mcuciti@private> 07/19/02 08:33AM >>>
    All:

    Let me put in my $.02: Operation TIPS is an opportunity for millions of
    ordinary citizens to assist law enforcement to track suspicious activities.
    Citizen in the United States have always had the opportunity to assist law
    enforcement agengies. If something did look right or was out of place,
    citizens can call 911 to report it. There is no law or government program for
    any of us to do that.

    What bothers me is the fact that the government may be or the citizens may
    believe the government is condoning "spying" on your neighbors. Good neighbors
    watch out for their fellow neighbors and their property. Mine do.

    I'm sorry, but I see a bit of McCarthyism here and I'm concerned that some
    "helpful" citizens will carry Operations TIPS too far.

    Common sense and good jugdment should prevail.

    Thanks for your time.

    J. Michael (Mike) Cuciti
    IT Support Manager
    Washington State Department of Health

    "Goerling, Richard J. LT (TAD to CGIC Portland)"
    <RIGoerling@private> wrote:
    >    MIME Type: multipart/alternative
    Thanks to Todd for the good links re: OP TIPS.  I'm very interested in CRIME
    members perspective.  This program was handed to the Coast Guard's National
    Response Center by US DOJ to field the phone calls from the public.  I'll
    have to reserve my comments for now, but please take a look at the program
    and let me know what you think.

    Rich Goerling
    US Coast Guard Portland, OR