Re: CRIME Interesting article on Windows "security"

From: Jere Retzer (retzerj@private)
Date: Wed Aug 07 2002 - 08:34:51 PDT

    Wow. I always had a gut feeling that the windows clipboard was a gaping security vacuum just waiting to be filled.  Would it be possible to exploit this with an ActiveX applet downloaded stealthily from a web site?

    This problem and the referenced 10 immutable laws of security from Microsoft bring me back to my question -- can Microsoft Windows ever be secure or do we need to basically start over?  See
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/columns/security/essays/10imlaws.asp

    >>> Alan <alan@private> 08/06/02 10:46PM >>>
    http://security.tombom.co.uk/shatter.html

    This is quite interesting. With this method any user can get whatever
    privileges they want under any version of Windows.

    And Microsoft does not have a fix for it.  (They also have stated that
    it is not a security problem...)

    Doh!