Re: CRIME Follow-up law enforcement response

From: tlmacgi@private
Date: Wed Aug 28 2002 - 11:21:11 PDT

  • Next message: Gunderson_Dane: "RE: CRIME Follow-up to my idea for helping law enforcement respon d more eff ectively to life-threatening disappearances and abductions"

    As was pointed out on the news reports over the past few days, no one
    really knew a crime had been committed when the first girl disappeared ..
    or even when the second did.    When would the '48 hours' you speak of have
    started to toll?   In January?  In March?    It is very difficult, in June,
    to call a search an emergency for an event that occurred months before ...
    unless you have some evidence that your efforts will prevent a crime (such
    as believing the girls were being held captive and that they would be
    killed or further harm come to them if civil liberties were not set aside)
    or keep evidence from being destroyed.  Both of these would qualify to
    bypass getting a warrant before entering the premises.

    We all wish something more could have been done and it had not taken so
    long to bring this to resolution.  But I don't see how the rules of
    evidence really had much bearing on the outcome, when it was not even
    recognized at the time of the disappearances that  a crime had been
    committed.

                        Richard.J.GRESHAM@private
                        tate.or.us                     To:     "'crime@private'" <crime@private>
                        Sent by:                       cc:
                        owner-crime@private         Subject:     Re: CRIME Follow-up law enforcement response

                        08/28/2002 09:33 AM

    Just some simple historical thoughts ....
    Remember the old thought that our court system was created with the concept
    that we would rather let 100 guilty men go free rather than convict one
    innocent?  The outgrowths of these thoughts along with past abuses of
    powers, the current limits on law enforcement were put into place.  We also
    need to remember that our freedom "from" government as well as "of"
    government is a major part of why we became the great nation we are.  As
    people raced to put into place more restrictive laws to stop the horrible
    Sept 11 tragedy, what made us great has started being changed -- and IMHO
    not for the better.  Others concur, saying that if we give in to the
    terrorists and change our laws so that we become less free, then the
    attackers have one a major battle.  So too, if we look at the abductors
    only with an eye of prevention at all costs, then we lessen part of the
    freedoms of all Americans.

    Rich Gresham