RE: CRIME Checkpoint versus Sonicwall

From: Justin Kurynny (justink@private)
Date: Fri Aug 30 2002 - 08:03:08 PDT

    From: Michael Rauscher [mailto:mrauscher@private]

    >If I were to walk into Anitian, or any other security vendor, and lay out
    my security plan as a once a month, or even once a week log review, along
    with NIDS/HIDS that notifies me daily of "suspicious" activity, someone's
    not doing their job if they tell me that that's sufficient, and there's
    nothing more I should be doing. My bet is you would describe my monitoring
    plan as inadequate, and that you have
    one that would allow me to sleep better at night.<

    the arguments against one having IDS unless one has full time IDS monitoring
    seem to be based in a black-and-white context: black and white in terms of
    cost (all or nothing) and in terms of how you are attacked (owned/not
    owned). what i believe i'm hearing from that camp is that unless you have
    full time IDS monitoring, IDS provides no value. is that, in fact, what
    you're saying? if so, i disagree. i would say that i find value in having
    information about the kinds of network traffic entering my internal network,
    even if it means i find out my web server is owned three weeks after it's
    happened. that's because now i can do something about it and i can identify
    the weaknesses that allowed the attacker in, and patch/configure
    appropriately. i would argue that losing a couple of battles still provides
    more information about your enemy's tactics than if you never fought those
    battles at all. a lost battle is not a lost war, and in many organizations,
    an owned server or two does not necessarily equal the end of those
    organizations.

    >My point is 2-fold: there's always someone willing to convince you they
    have something better that you need, and, if you don't want! to have to
    defend your product, don't try to push it on a list where most people know
    better.<

    you can't blame a salesman for pushing his wares; that's his job. it's up to
    you to determine what's gold and what's pyrite, and you're not doing *your*
    job if you're just taking a salesman's word for it. i agree with you,
    Michael, that this list is not the forum for product placement, but Andrew
    is being attacked for his ideology, not his product, and he shouldn't be
    censored because "most people know better."

    justin