RE: CRIME Checkpoint versus Sonicwall

From: Nicholas Murphy (nmurphy@private)
Date: Fri Aug 30 2002 - 08:12:17 PDT

    I have not wanted to jump on this bandwagon, but here are my 2 cents.
    Lets say I am a small company with 10 to 150 employees and I know that the
    internet is a "dangerous" place and I have valuable data on my internal
    systems.
    Since my company has a very small IT budget (or no budget) because the
    powers that be do not want to spend money on technology.  Are most of you
    saying that this small company should just go without any IDS or firewall
    because they do not have the money for it?  Or you would all of you agree
    that something is better than nothing?  Then what is the problem with
    Anitians solution.  I would rather see ALL company's have some form of
    firewall/IDS in place than to have nothing at all.  Even if they were only
    monitored once a week or month, it is better to know that you have been had
    a week later than to never find out and wonder one Monday morning when you
    come in to work all of your data has been deleted.
    In my opinion if all companies had a firewall/IDS in place and a competent
    person monitoring the activities the internet would not be filled up with as
    much junk (SPAM, servers hosting IRC and FTP sites they do not know about,
    etc.).
    For example my company was called in to a client for the first time and
    their server was hosting someone else's website and a IRC chat room.  This
    had been going on for some time and they did not realize it until we alerted
    them.  This would not have happened for as long as it did if they had
    someone watching it, and probably not at all if the patches were in place.
    I would say that Anitians solution would have be perfect for these
    companies.
    Nick Murphy