Re: CRIME Checkpoint versus Sonicwall

From: Crispin Cowan (crispin@private)
Date: Tue Sep 03 2002 - 08:59:58 PDT

    Andrew Plato wrote:

    > >good. But I've looked at EVERY commercial IDS I could find and every IDS
    > > technology approach there is and I tell you this-
    > > THEY ALL SUCK. And ISS sucks just as badly (worse in some places)
    > than any
    > > other product.
    > You're right to a certain extent here. But you could extend this to
    > probably
    > every technology ever made. Everything has strengths and weaknesses.

    Well, no. And that is truly the source of this argument in the first
    place. IMHO (and apparently others as well) IDS suck much, much more
    than other technologies. IDS sucks in qualitatively worse ways:

        * other technologies are deterministic: when they decice that
          something is "good" or "bad" ("permitted" or "denied") they are
          *certain*
        * IDS are fundamentally heuristic systems, and they are just
          guessing that something is *probably* "good" or "bad"

    Do IDS have some security value? Sure they do. But it is qualitatively
    different than other security products' value, and that's why they
    require so much human monitoring to be useful.

    > To use an innocuous example - why do I have 5 media players on my
    > computer
    > (WinAmp, QuickTime, Real, MusicMatch, Windows Media)? Because each one
    > sucks in its own unique way.

    And here I thought it was because various media distributors were
    seeking to monopolize formats, and so your Real Player could not play
    Quicktime videos, and vice versa :) Unless forced to do otherwise by
    deliberate incompatibility, I use only one media player. Your example
    fails to convince.

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.
    Chief Scientist, WireX                      http://wirex.com/~crispin/