RE: CRIME REMINDER: Free Seminar on Computer Security tomorrow!

From: Andrew Plato (aplato@private)
Date: Tue Sep 03 2002 - 17:12:50 PDT

    > And the biometric mouse is even easier to spoof, as it is a
    > USB device,
    > and USB is not a secure transport for data (there are free Windows USB
    > snoopers that people use to reverse engineer Windows USB drivers for
    > other operating systems.)  So you don't even have to fake up a
    > fingerprint, you can just send the host "valid" data from your USB
    > device, and the host thinks you are the correct user.

    Oh, well then I guess we should all unplug our mice then and go back to typewriters.

    Again, if you have corrupted drivers on your machine, you have bigger problems then spoofed biometrics. Trojans on computers and people swiping coke bottles for fingerprints strikes me as larger problems then merely faulty biometrics.

    I mean using this same line of reasoning, everybody who isn't packing an anti-tank missle in his car is a fool because you could (theortically) have tanks invade your neighborhood.  Well, it seems to me if angry tanks are driving around your neighborhood, you have CONSIDERABLY larger problems than a lack of anti-tank rounds in you car.

    Andrew Plato, CISSP
    President / Principal Consultant
    Anitian Corporation

    (503) 644-5656 office