Re: CRIME REMINDER: Free Seminar on Computer Security tomorrow!

From: Crispin Cowan (crispin@private)
Date: Fri Sep 06 2002 - 17:58:24 PDT

    Andrew Plato wrote:

    > > However, if one grants that some combination of cameras and guards and
    > > biometrics and login tokens and passwords can combine to demonstrate
    > > that user U really is user U, then there _are_ systems without security
    > > flaws to be found, no matter what level of pounding you can afford. I
    > > believe the CTOS/STOP operating system (a unix-alike) has had extensive
    > > enough design and audit of code used that it is, for all practical
    > > purposes, proven to be secure.
    >
    > I firmly believe there are secure systems that - when placed in a
    > secure state,
    > managed in a secure manner, and monitored in a proactive fashion, are
    > for all
    > practical purposes - impenetrable. But, the cost of such an
    > arrangement can be
    > simply too much for many organizations. Hence - comprimises must be made
    > leading to "more secure" arrangements but not "impenetrable solutions.

    I agree with the above: there are provably secure systems, completely
    free of vulnerabilities. But the limitations imposed by them are
    impractical for most purposes.

    The dispute is because Andrew previously claimed that ALL systems
    contain vulnerabilites if you poke at them hard enough, and that just is
    not true.

    Where I suspect we agree is that the cost of improving security rises
    exponentially as you try to approach perfectly secure.

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.
    Chief Scientist, WireX                      http://wirex.com/~crispin/