RE: CRIME REMINDER: Free Seminar on Computer Security tomorrow!

From: Andrew Plato (aplato@private)
Date: Fri Sep 06 2002 - 09:33:55 PDT

    Okay - that's twice in  a row I hit SEND before finishing (I didn't even spell check).
    I think I need to go back to sleep....

    To finish my last point...

    > However, if one grants that some combination of cameras and guards and
    > biometrics and login tokens and passwords can combine to demonstrate
    > that user U really is user U, then there _are_ systems without security
    > flaws to be found, no matter what level of pounding you can afford. I
    > believe the CTOS/STOP operating system (a unix-alike) has had extensive
    > enough design and audit of code used that it is, for all practical
    > purposes, proven to be secure.

    I firmly believe there are secure systems that - when placed in a secure state,
    managed in a secure manner, and monitored in a proactive fashion, are for all
    practical purposes - impenetrable. But, the cost of such an arrangement can be
    simply too much for many organizations. Hence - comprimises must be made
    leading to "more secure" arrangements but not "impenetrable solutions.

    Eh, screw the spell checking. Its good its Friday.

    Andrew Plato, CISSP
    President / Principal Consultant
    Anitian Corporation

    (503) 644-5656 office