Re: CRIME Computers vulnerable at Oregon department

From: Shaun Savage (savages@private)
Date: Tue Sep 24 2002 - 15:25:32 PDT

    T. Kenji Sugahara wrote:
    > What's needed is buy-in from the Governor on down.  (e.g. a fundamental
    > shift in thinking).
    >
    > Each agency head needs to understand the costs and benefits of
    > security.  They need to be advised of the cost of computer insecurity.

    Open of the problems in goverment is that they are not open to new
    ideas, even if the ideas better server the people of the state.  The
    concept of open source is totally unheard of in goverment. As such they,
    the big cheeses, don't want to get near it.  To me open source is the
    best concept for goverment.  Pay for software once, development, then
    the people could use it forever.  If a program is put into the public
    domain then that adds to the commen welfare of everyone.

    I have read that the goverment should support business.  The question
    here is are the people more important or companies. people vote but
    companies donate(bribe) more money.

    I would donate my patented database GUI system to the projects the state
    would create for it self using open source licenese.  This would reduce
    maintaince and development cost, increase security, while improving the
    common good for the average person in the state.

    Shaun Savage