Re: CRIME Computers vulnerable at Oregon department

From: T. Kenji Sugahara (sugahara@private)
Date: Tue Sep 24 2002 - 00:30:55 PDT

    Shaun,

    Open Source is great but how about support?  There are legions of MS
    trained support people but how about Linux/UNIX trained folks?  Which
    brings about another question of Open Source - Uniformity.  What do you
    think the repercussions are of  the kind of mods that you can make in
    an open source environment?  Most everything can be modified - and will
    be. It tends to require a different perspective than out of the box
    solutions.  I wonder what IT support is like in that environment?

    In addition, how will software developers react to Open Source and Open
    Standards?  Will service contracts work as a business model for SW
    developers?  It is sort-of a throwback to the old IBM model of sell the
    HW for under cost and then make em pay for the maintenance.