Re: CRIME Computers vulnerable at Oregon department

From: Shaun Savage (savages@private)
Date: Tue Sep 24 2002 - 22:20:41 PDT

    T. Kenji Sugahara wrote:
    > Shaun,
    >
    > Open Source is great but how about support?   There are legions of MS
    > trained support people but how about Linux/UNIX trained folks?
    I have seen some of the MS support people, and they are worthless.  One
    person spent two hours trying to hook up a 8 port hub.  The docs stated
    port 8 was the crossover connection but if you looked at the hub, port 1
    was.

    my guess is that there are about equal QUALIFIED Linux/unix <-> MS
    support people.  If you know the protocols, and undrestand what is
    really happing, it is easier to migrate from MS to Linux than from Linux
    -> MS

      Which
    > brings about another question of Open Source - Uniformity.  What do you
    > think the repercussions are of  the kind of mods that you can make in an
    > open source environment?  Most everything can be modified - and will be.
    > It tends to require a different perspective than out of the box
    > solutions.
    This is more of procedure than tech.  By creating a STD distro for the
    enviroment then creating a package database for every machine, then you
    will know what you have. That database for each machine is stored on a
    central configuration computer.  When any update are made to that
    machine the changes are made in the DB on the central computer.

    If policy does not allow configuration changes to the base machine the
    then root should not change it.  This like any enterprize admin.

      I wonder what IT support is like in that environment?

    > In addition, how will software developers react to Open Source and Open
    > Standards?
    I don't understand the question.  I thought that open RFC's already
    define how developers program.  Only in the MS world is SMPT not the
    SMTP protocol.  MS removes the "<>" in <email@domain> defined by the
    SMTP RFC.

    Personally I think programming to and following standards would be good
    for the public.

    Will service contracts work as a business model for SW
    > developers?
    There would be not much difference in the way it is done now.  Open bids
    for a application, where the developer gets NRE. Then another open bid
    for support.  Because the code is released into the public commons any
    person can become an expert on it.  That should increase competition and
    reduce price.

    It is sort-of a throwback to the old IBM model of sell the
    > HW for under cost and then make em pay for the maintenance.
    The difference between the IBM model is that the source is open.  The
    state is NOT locked into one vender.  The vendor does NOT have a
    monopoly on the code.  This is the key idea. When source code is closed
    this creates a monopoly on maintaince and upgrades.  This monopoly
    increases price and reduces quality of both product and service.

    The side effect of going to open source it when one state developes a
    GREAT DMV system, other states can use it.  This will standardize the
    DMV system across the states.  This is both good and bad, it allows for
    a common database format that the feds can search easier;-/