Re: CRIME better computing for oregon using open source

From: charles radley (c.radley@private)
Date: Tue Sep 24 2002 - 08:29:49 PDT

    Shaun,

    Congratulations on a clear definition of the objectives, I can certainly
    agree with those principles.   I am an ASQ Certified Software Quality
    Engineer (CSQE) with 10+ years experience.

    Shaun Savage wrote:

    > This is is a continuance of the "Computer vulnerable at Oregon" thread!
    >
    > The question here is will cost be reduced and security improved using
    > Open Source.
    >
    > A few basic axioms of this debate is:
    > 1> "monopolies increase cost by reducing competition"
    >         1A+ "competition inceases software quality"
    >         1A- "shorter development time reduces software quality"
    > 2> "proper software development inceases software quality"
    > 3> "people are more important than business"
    >         Greedy CEO's believe this is false.
    >
    > If we can all agree on these simple axioms then progress will be better.
    >
    > The topics I want to discuss are
    > What procedure are need to improve software quality for the state?

    What we have here is is a classical process improvement problem, plenty
    of expertise is available in this field if the powers that be wish to
    take advantage of it.   I myself am available for employment or
    consulting in those areas.

    The first thing I would do would be an audit of the present state of
    software practices to see what is working and what is not.

    I would recommend they adopt a good set of policies, perhaps ISO, TickIT
    or CMM, tailor as needed for the particular environment.   This could
    encompass XP or other development models.

    I would establish a metrics program to measure the current defect rates
    and productivity of the processes, and from that develop a plan to
    achieve a repeatable set of development practices.

    Then execute the plan.

    Then enforce the policies and practices by periodic audits.   Modify
    practices and policies and business NEEDS dictate.

    Let the flaming begin.

    > How the bidding for software can be done to improve quality and security?
    > --- you add more???
    >
    > One idea is to have development and maintaince be two seperate
    > contracts.  But this would also require a formal acceptance testing
    > procedure.

    By itself that will do little to solve the underlying problems.

    Probably not essential, but would not hurt at all.

    	Best regards,

    		Charles F. Radley - CSQE