RE: CRIME Computers vulnerable at Oregon department

From: Andrew Plato (aplato@private)
Date: Tue Sep 24 2002 - 13:36:54 PDT

    List! Heck, I'd give them a discount on my service and donate my time
    if it would help make things better. The problem is, as you pointed
    out, the intense political aspect of these agencies. Its very hard
    to get things moving. And all the various turf-lords fear that any
    form of security will usurp their power and authority. And the holy
    wars. Oh God, I've sat in some meetings where people were literally
    foaming at the mouth over their various sacred cows of technology.
    There is so much intolerance and grandstanding among some technical
     people that getting them to start thinking securely and practically
    is like trying to move Jupiter into a different orbit.

    That coupled with the fact that it takes them an eternity to get
    funding for these things. And there are usually 98 rounds of analysis
    and review that quickly saps the patience of the really sharp people.

    The key really is to set some PRACTICAL standards, audit them regularly,
    and force people into compliance. The only way to do this is a
    top-down buy in  from the governor, legislature, and the various
    turf-lords. Which means somebody has to tell these people - now
    is the time.

    Maybe the Oregon security community needs to draft some kind of
    letter that says "Security is important. Do it!" Send it to the
    governor, legislature, etc. and see if that fires them into action.

    Andrew Plato, CISSP
    President / Principal Consultant
    Anitian Corporation

    (503) 644-5656 office