Re: CRIME Computers vulnerable at Oregon department

From: T. Kenji Sugahara (sugahara@private)
Date: Tue Sep 24 2002 - 12:57:17 PDT

    "Not all agencies even report to the Governor. No single person
    can mandate security rules... by the charter established in 1859."

    James- No they don't but, as Brian said, the governor and the
    legislature can exert a pretty significant amount of influence.

    Don- I totally agree with your view-point.  A new agency with existing
    personnel would be great.  It would be a tough sell to legislators
    though.  Certain elements would jump on it as creating more
    bureaucracy.  However, if we drill it into their heads the liability,
    cost savings, ROI, and efficiency issues they may be swayed.  I also
    think that there needs to be a lot input from not only those in
    managerial positions, but those who actually do a lot of the work.

    "The key element that hasn't been brought up is the role of the
    information security professional in either the State government or at
    the individual department position. "

    Esteban, one of the most difficult aspects is attracting and retaining
    talented individuals in State Government.  This is not to say that
    there are not any talented individuals in State Government.  However,
    these folks are self selected into service.  e.g. they see the benefits
    of working for the state and the self satisfaction of "working for the
    people."  In many instances, a promising hire is brought into the
    system, but when the economy improves, many get lured away into higher
    paying jobs.  PERS is a good incentive but that may be disappearing
    soon.  What creative incentives could there be?

    Rob Magee- Could you expound on "management makes decisions based on
    as much convenience as they can get away with."  I'm curious to know
    what exactly this means.

    Neil- how do you encourage innovation?  Reward it.  There is no such
    thing as bonuses in State Government.  That should be changed.  If a
    person makes a suggestion that saves the State a million dollars, they
    should be rewarded.  The bonus amount is going to be paltry compared to
    the savings.  If a manager increases efficiency, go ahead and cut the
    budget but give them a little reward for doing it better.  It will
    definitely take messing with the ORS's but I think it could be done.

    Make an ability to think outside the box a requirement of state
    service!  Putting individuals who value creative thinking in positions
    of power is a start.  Changing state rules to allow for a little more
    leeway in implementing procedures that may increase
    innovation/efficiency.  However, there has to be a limit to the amount
    of leeway as that inevitably leads to abuses.  Finding the balance is
    the tricky part.

    Seth- LOL, I know open source doesn't have anything to do with
    linux/unix/microsoft.  I understand that open source means that the
    source code is made available.  (I wrote an open source license for one
    our software products- which hopefully will be adopted by many states
    in their quest for electronic filing in courts- its under evaluation by
    a consortium of about 5 states right now).

    Nash- yup.  DAS is hiring a CISO (I think I posted it on the list a
    while back).  I forget what the job duties of that position were and
    whether coordination between agencies was involved.