RE: CRIME Computers vulnerable at Oregon department

From: Andrew Plato (aplato@private)
Date: Wed Sep 25 2002 - 02:07:48 PDT

    > Because I'm not talking about commodity software like firewalls (which
    > I've said about six times). I'm talking about large, custom-built
    > software like the Portland water utility system. The Netscreen example
    > is irrelevant.

    Okay. If we're only talking about custom-built software, then yeah, I agree
    with you whole-heartedly. From your initial comments, you made it sound like ALL
    software had to be open-source. That would be impossible for commercial products, but
    custom-built stuff - yeah, I would agree with you.

    I worked at a consulting firm in Seattle in the early 90s and we did a lot of custom
    software for the State of Washington. At the end of the contract, the state owned the
    programs, not us. And presumably they could then go hire anybody they wanted to
    support or tweak the software.

    Wow...are there really companies out there that try to retain licensing of the software
    they custom-design? That is lame.

    > That is also irrelevant. It is not about commodity vs. custom. Sure, use
    > commodity where ever you can. But tell me, where does one buy a
    > commodity driver's license management infrastructure? Thought so :)  The
    > State needs to go custom when building large State infrastructure, and
    > my ONLY argument is that the State should mandate open source licensing
    > of the resulting system when they procure custom systems.

    Again, if we talking about custom-designed software, I would agree. I didn't really
    think this was done any other way.

    Andrew Plato, CISSP
    President / Principal Consultant
    Anitian Corporation