Re: CRIME Computers vulnerable at Oregon department

From: Crispin Cowan (crispin@private)
Date: Wed Sep 25 2002 - 00:33:23 PDT

    Andrew Plato wrote:

    >They can already do these things. The state could, for example, buy a
    >ton
    >of Netscreen firewalls (as an example). After a while they could
    >decide that Netscreen is a pain in the arse to deal with. So they could
    >call
    >me up and I could come out and help them make their netscreens work
    >better.
    >
    >Why do I or the customer need source code to do this? We can
    >support the products as is and all is peachy.

    Because I'm not talking about commodity software like firewalls (which
    I've said about six times). I'm talking about large, custom-built
    software like the Portland water utility system. The Netscreen example
    is irrelevant.

    >But commodity products have one huge advantage over custom built stuff:
    >they're
    >everywhere. Training is widely available, and knowledge is easier to
    >come by.

    That is also irrelevant. It is not about commodity vs. custom. Sure, use
    commodity where ever you can. But tell me, where does one buy a
    commodity driver's license management infrastructure? Thought so :)  The
    State needs to go custom when building large State infrastructure, and
    my ONLY argument is that the State should mandate open source licensing
    of the resulting system when they procure custom systems.

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.
    Chief Scientist, WireX                      http://wirex.com/~crispin/