Re: CRIME Computers vulnerable at Oregon department

From: brvarin@private
Date: Thu Sep 26 2002 - 07:22:37 PDT

    The funny thing about the DMV list is that nothing happened until some guy
    put the whole CD online and made it available for query. It was funny to
    sit there and watch the Governor demand that it be taken offline but he had
    zero power to take it offline. The guy agreed to take it offline if they
    passed a law and they finally did but as stated below, it's so watered
    down, it's not much of a deterrent to getting the data. I've been tempted
    to pay for a biz license and get the CD because my "business" has a
    business interest(Uhhh....I'm a telemarketing firm..that's it). Post it on
    some server overseas and watch them freak out. Maybe start out by only
    allowing certain fields to be seen. That's really the only way our
    worthless Legislature is going to do anything about it. Not that it's going
    to help....it seems like every week some crank addict is getting arrested
    for identity theft with a few CD's of DMV records. Is it a coincidence that
    Oregon is one of the top states for ID theft?