RE: CRIME Computers vulnerable at Oregon department

From: brvarin@private
Date: Thu Sep 26 2002 - 09:02:23 PDT

    This actually a good idea....of course the Legislature probably has their
    records suppressed.

    I'd be careful about running a homegrown speed trap...I had access to a
    Kustom Signals ProLaser II a few years back and we videotaped a part of
    it...most people were within about 5 of the speed limit but we caught an
    OSP trooper at 25 (70/45) over. He then circled back and told us we could
    be cited for some obscure ORS that says you can't distract traffic. He then
    tried to run the laser gun for stolen.

    As for who has access to DMV records...here's who can get it:

    http://www.oregondmv.com/Records/records.htm#WhoQualifies
    Under Oregon law, (ORS 802.175 - 802.191) only certain entities qualify to
    receive personal information from DMV records. These include entities such
    as: attorneys, legitimate businesses, insurance companies, police agencies
    and other government agencies.

    These entities must first qualify for personal information and can only use
    the information for specific purposes defined by Oregon law.

    Please refer to Oregon law (ORS 802.175-802.191) and Oregon Administrative
    Rule 735-010-0200 through 0230 for the complete list of what entities may
    qualify for personal information and the uses of the information.

    http://arcweb.sos.state.or.us/rules/OARS_700/OAR_735/735_010.html
    735-010-0210

    Requests for Personal Information by a Legitimate Business

    In order for DMV to make a determination of whether a business is
    legitimate under ORS 802.179(3), a person must provide sufficient evidence
    to DMV as follows:

    (1) One of the following:

    (a) A current and valid business, professional, occupational or commercial
    license issued by a governmental body that regulates that type of business,
    profession, trade or commercial activity;

    (b) A Certificate of Existence or Authorization issued by the Secretary of
    State under ORS 60.027, 62.065, 63.027, or 65.027;

    (c) A current copy of the Articles of Incorporation or Articles of
    Organization, including proof that they have been filed with the Secretary
    of State, or if a foreign corporation or foreign limited liability company,
    proof that it has been authorized by the Secretary of State to transact
    business in Oregon or that it has been formed in accordance with the laws
    of the jurisdiction in which it is incorporated or organized;

    (d) A current copy of the business Partnership Agreement;

    (e) A copy of the business income tax form filed for the latest tax period
    for which filing was required;

    (f) A certification from the Office of Minority, Women and Emerging Small
    Businesses or similar governmental organization; or

    (2) At least two of the following:

    (a) A business invoice issued by the business within the last three months
    showing the sale of a product or service the business provides;

    (b) A current business card;

    (c) A resume of work completed or products sold within the last three
    months, with names and phone numbers of customers who may be contacted for
    verification;

    (d) A copy of a signed contract for work performed within the last six
    months;

    (e) A copy of a current rental, lease or purchase agreement for the
    business premises, or proof of ownership of the business premises;

    (f) A copy of a current rental or lease agreement for business equipment or
    a receipt or purchase agreement showing the purchase of business equipment.
    "Business equipment" means equipment necessary for the business to
    manufacture or provide a product or deliver a service and includes such
    things as a computer, photocopier, business vehicle, cash register, etc.;

    (g) A copy of a business related loan agreement;

    (h) A copy of or reference to a current business advertisement, including
    but not limited to the yellow pages, newspaper, television or other media
    of general circulation. If from a reference DMV is unable to verify the
    advertisement, documentation of the advertisement may be required.

    Stat. Auth.: ORS 184.616, ORS 184.619, ORS 192.440, ORS 802.179 & ORS
    802.183
    Stats. Implemented: ORS 802.179
    Hist.: DMV 15-1998, f. 11-17-98, cert. ef. 12-1-98