Re: CRIME Nigerian scam- new twist as well....

From: John E Jewkes-AAA0OR-AAA0ID (aar0mi@private)
Date: Fri Oct 04 2002 - 22:35:23 PDT

    In a slightly different twist, a new scam from the country of Togo (NO,
    not the
    restaurant....): (Spelling and grammatical errors removed to make it more
    legible):
            Goes like this..... Dear <name deleted>, Your cousin who operated
    a small
    airline in our country has died in plane crash. It is believed some
    rebels outside
    the Capitol City of Togo (Lome) fired on his plane thinking he was spying
    on their
    positions. In our <insert Banque name here>, he has left the sum of $18
    Million USD
    with instructions to assist you in making arrangements to recover the
    funds and bury
    his body in his home state.  To do this, there are some hurdles we must
    jump together
    quickly as his body will be buried in an umarked grave in the countryside
    unless you
    step forward as the next of kin to claim his body and his left behind
    wealth. Some of
    his wishes include distributing this among family members he has named.
            To begin the process we must have you wire to us immediately
    $5000 USD and
    send the confirmation number to me via email or via my cell phone number
    228-blah blah\
    blah. When you reply that you don't have $5000 USD at hand, they quickly
    negotiate
    for what you do have on hand, with a promissary note (you must fax back
    to them)
    signed, guaranteeing that you will pay them the balance (difference) at
    the conclusion of
    the recovery (body and funds).
            Shortly thereafter, a 'zinger' pops up... some government
    official has found the need
    for a copy of the death certificate, which you cannot hope to have
    possession of based
    on just finding out about it. You then dutifully contact the original
    person who sent you an
    email (claims he/she is the Banque's director of International Affairs)
    and tell them of this.
    They then refer you to an in-country attorney who will take this on, and
    will do so very
    quickly for a fee, to be paid up-front. The little games and sub-plots
    keep going until
    they drain everything they can from you. then inform you that the Police
    have taken one
    or more of your contacts into custody, and that you must come to Togo to
    complete the
    transactions needed or forfeit the body and the funds.
            IF you go down there, you will likely disappear. Unluckily,
    either way you lose a lot of
    your money, and in worst case your life. These folks are inventive and
    Smart, regardless of
    how they appear due to spelling and grammar errors they make in their
    emails and faxes.
    They come up with VERY personal information regarding your family,
    friends, assets, jobs,
    home addresses and so on, making this twisted tale more believable.
            In my case (YES, I fell for this, because it was not presented in
    the usual 'do a little illegal
    activity get a big payoff' light, but rather in a more 'have compassion
    for the dead cousin' way).
    They even had my real cousin's name (Randy) and knew he had gone to
    Africa many years
    ago to earn a fortune in a backwater place. They also knew he and I had
    not talked or
    written each other in about 3 years. They knew way too much for it to be
    a scam I THOUGHT.
            As with MOST bunko artists, they do research, through a variety
    of resources and when
    they contact you, they know more than you do about you. All toll, I wound
    up losing $8,000.00
    by the time they slipped up and sent the wrong name and information on
    the wrong e-address.
    (Almost all the players were on hotmail.co.uk or yahoo.co.uk email
    addresses. They made the
    mistake of sending me info that only the lawyer (Udoba_Pius@private)
    should have known
    from the banker's e-address (OUS_Banque@private), signed by the
    'lawyer'. At that point,
    I did my research (What I should have done initially) and found out all
    about the variants of
    the 'Nigerian Scam' and how MOST folks dumb enough to travel to the
    country in question
    wind up disappearing or found dead in a motel room.
            I wonder (suspect) that my funds sent them may even have helped
    finance illegal or
    immoral activities by some group, perhaps even the Al-Qaeda or some-such.
    I hope and
    pray that they didn't help 9-11 to occur. This happened to me between
    July 1999 and Oct-
    ober of 2001. When I found all this out and questioned the various flaws,
    I was told very
    politely, thank goodness, that YES, the had stolen from me, so what, I
    was a rich Yankee,
    and too bad they didn't have the chance to slit my throat.... I reported
    all the various folk's
    emails and their connection to an obvious scam to their respective ISP's.
    Yahoo and Hotmail
    both quickly unplugged their email addresses, and the remaining ISP's
    said they would be
    investigating the claim and would take appropriate action against them if
    warranted. Sadly,
    they must not have felt so, as a ping sent to that persons reported IP
    still shows activity.
    even 'smart' americans can be duped.... NO, I didn't report this to the
    Secret Service folk,
    as I thought ONLY the Nigerian '419' scam could be reported. Now, I would
    suppose it
    would be too late to do so. Simply use this to help others see that MANY
    different scams
    are out there, including those that would seem too real to be scams....
    playing on your
    emotions and concerns rather than your greed.....

    73 de John Jewkes W6HNC/AAA0OR OR/AAA0ID ID

    On Fri, 4 Oct 2002 14:08:52 -0700 "Andrew Plato" <aplato@private>