Re: CRIME Dockworker lockout- OT

From: Seth Arnold (sarnold@private)
Date: Mon Oct 07 2002 - 11:27:13 PDT

    On Sun, Oct 06, 2002 at 06:53:38PM -0700, sugahara@private wrote:
    > It seems to me that the entire problem with the lockout hinges with the
    > potential elimination of union jobs (data entry) through the use of
    > technology.

    The blacksmiths are still rather upset at this newfangled "automobile"
    that is slowly but surely replacing horses. Slide rule manufacturers are
    beyond upset with this "calculator" invention.

    Watch me be not very sympathetic when an error-prone task is farmed out
    to computers for cheap and easy automation.

    If one's skills include data entry, and only data entry, I'm sure there
    are still a few companies needing data to be entered. Otherwise, there
    are many other fine occupations available.

    > are included in the union.  This brings up the question:  would a union
    > be good and/or necessary for jobs in the technology field?

    I don't think a union would improve my current working situation. I
    don't think a union would have improved any of my previous jobs either.
    Unions are symptomatic of a horrendous working situation; I don't think
    many tech people would tolerate horrendous working situations long
    enough to unionize.

    --
    Outlook users: please do not put my email address in your address book.
    This way, when you get infected with a virus, my address won't appear in