Re: CRIME Dockworker lockout- OT

From: Crispin Cowan (crispin@private)
Date: Mon Oct 07 2002 - 11:22:21 PDT

    Gunderson_Dane wrote:

    >	I am a Union Member and come from a family of Teachers obligated to
    >be union members and can tell you from personal experience that Unions have
    >a useful life cycle dependent on the maturity of the industry.  If excessive
    >profits are to be made within an industry unions can help protect workers
    >and grow a community with 'fair' wages that often are above what the market
    >might provide.

    There is nothing "fair" about extorting wages above what the market
    might provide. That is exactly the kind of distortion that leads to
    crippling inflation.

    If excessive profits are being made, the market's natural response is to
    breed competitors, who drive the price down to commodity levels. If
    unions pre-emptorily drive the wages for workers in that class up, then
    commoditization becomes more difficult, and consumers end up paying
    inflated prices for a very long time.

    >	But...  within the current Oregon economy you can see demonstrated
    >the exploitive diversion of tax dollars to the teacher's unions through
    >obligatory dues that fund politically self destructive ends.  Evidence?  In
    >a state with 8% unemployment, with an educational budget that doubled in 8
    >years, with PERS revealed to be a complex ponzi scheme how does the media
    >portray a multi billion dollar increase in the educational budget?  They use
    >the word 'cuts'...  because the Teachers' unions wanted even more...

    I'm relatively new to Oregon (8 years) and I still find the Oregon
    education budget confusing. During the boom years of the late 1990s,
    when the economy was roaring and the State's revenues should have been
    overflowing, the education system was in a budget crisis. I read in the
    paper about budget cuts, and Dane claims that it is actually a
    substantial increase that just isn't as large as the teacher's union
    would like it.

    Can someone tell me what is actually going on here?

    >	And...  both Oregon and Washington have allowed Teacher's unions
    >lawsuits to drive out of business anti-tax activists.  Allowing people to
    >have a say by 'voting' so offends the teacher's unions they attacked with
    >lawsuits the initiative creator, created an action group called the
    >VEP(Voters Education Project) to misrepresent the initiatives and use 'dirty
    >tricks' to discredit the initiatives and with the support of other PERS

    Hmmm, perhaps. But Seizmore had his own bag of dirty tricks, and from my
    personal arm chair, there's more dirt on Seizmore than on the Teacher's
    Union (Crispin sides with a union: you saw it here first :)

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.
    Chief Scientist, WireX                      http://wirex.com/~crispin/