[PLUG] Home network connectivity problem

From: James H. Webb (jimwebb@private)
Date: Wed Oct 16 2002 - 20:26:08 PDT

    I have a home network problem that has me puzzled.  I hope that somebody out
    there has more smarts and/or experience to help me.

    When my house was built I had cat5 jacks placed in 4 rooms.  The cable led
    to a closet where I had my cable brought into the house.  In that closet I
    have the cable connected to the Motorola modem which connects to my hardware
    firewall.  This in turn is connected to an 8 port 10/100 Netgear hub.  I
    have cat5 cable connected from the hub into wall jacks that lead back to the
    4 rooms.

    I noticed today that when I attempted to attach a 4 port Netgear 10/100 hub
    in one of the rooms to the wall jack that I was unable to connect to the
    network.  This is the same network that I can successfully connect out to
    the internet when I have one pc, without the hub, connected to that same
    wall jack.  I switched cat5 cables.  That didn't help.  I moved the hub into
    another room and the same problem occurred.  I can connect to the internet
    with one pc, but not after I connect one or more pc's through the hub.

    A friend thought that it may be due to some IEEE standard about how the wall
    jack might be set up, but he couldn't remember the details.

    Has anybody seen anything like this?  Can anybody help????

    TIA,

    Jim Webb