RE: CRIME Driveby DOS

From: Andrew Plato (aplato@private)
Date: Mon Oct 21 2002 - 17:10:58 PDT

    While you might not be liable, you certainly could have to spend a lot
    of time and money explaining yourself. Not to mention the bad PR you
    might get if your network was taken over and used to attack somebody
    else's network.

    Considering the general insecurity of wireless networks, there's a
    pretty good chance they will undergo some kind of intrusion attempt.
    There are, of course, ways to mitigate that, such as restricting MAC
    addresses, putting IDSs at the gateways of wireless networks, and
    restricting access to certain times and/or protocols. But, as with all
    things - that costs time and money to implement.

    I have one customer where we devised a rather ingenious way to protect
    their wireless network - we automatically power down all the gateways at
    night and after business hours. Coupled with host IDS, firewalls, and a
    few other goodies, it's a pretty safe network now.

    Andrew Plato, CISSP
    President / Principal Consultant
    Anitian Corporation

    503-644-5656 Office