RE: CRIME Driveby DOS

From: Andrew Plato (aplato@private)
Date: Wed Oct 23 2002 - 17:43:05 PDT

    > Define "the problem."  If the problem is wireless, then a VPN
    > will solve it.  If the problem is remote control programs,
    > then no.  But no one mentioned them until you did just now.
    > Please do not redefine the goal without redefining the question.

    The problem is people hacking into systems/networks. The goal is to keep
    them out. A VPN alone will not, necessarily, keep them out. Regardless
    the media between here and there - if the end points of that exchange
    are not secured then it doesn't matter if its wired, wireless, or
    subspace. Wireless networks are subject to sniffing like any other
    network. But why waste time sniffing for waves, capturing keys, and
    hacking those keys when you can just attack the end-user's PC, gain
    access to it, and then use the nicely encrypted tunnel between here and
    there as a conduit to attack other machines.

    I am not disagreeing that VPN is a good way to go. But that has to be
    backed with host-level protections as well. That's all.

    Andrew Plato, CISSP
    President / Principal Consultant
    Anitian Corporation

    503-644-5656 Office