CRIME ITEC 2003

From: Tom_Staskiewicz@private
Date: Fri Dec 13 2002 - 09:11:10 PST

    Bob,

    I had a chance to talk with one of the event managers, Christine, and she
    said that ITEC will be back in 2003, but in a different format. The new
    format would be more focused on security, networking, and one other area (I
    don't remember what that one was) and that it would have less general
    appeal (they are projecting maybe 1000 attendees). She also said that they
    want to provide fee based certification training as part of the show. She
    did not specify the area(s) of focus for the training, but this is what she
    related to me. I don't know any certification programs that can do much
    training in a one or two day format.

    My  objective when talking with Christine was to address the issue that you
    raise about being in the sticks. I am accustomed to professionally produced
    shows   that   actually   draw   exhibitors  and  attendees;  i.e.  Comdex,
    NetWorld/InterOp,  and  the like. When you can walk in the door and see the
    entire  show  floor  and  read all the signs, it is pretty underwhelming. I
    asked  why  we  were  primarily  seeing  mostly  resellers rather than true
    vendors.  The answer was that the vendors don't want to step on the toes of
    their  resellers,  in  reality  the  answer  is,  the show is too small and
    unattractive (5000 attendees) for the vendors to spend much money.

    Personally I want to get more in depth knowledge as to why things were done
    certain  ways,  why  they  didn't  include specific technologies, where the
    products and company are headed, etc. and this show doesn't do that. With a
    new  1  million square foot convention center I would expect the show to be
    headed  toward  bigger and better, not smaller and weaker! Christine stated
    that  many  of  the  big show producers are cutting back on their shows. If
    that  is  the  case I would think the interest of vendors in regional shows
    would  increase  and  we  could  get  a  better  show in Portland. Also, my
    experience  is  that  event trainings can be extremely successful when they
    are  very focused (new technologies), of short (60 to 90 minutes) duration,
    and hands-on for each attendee.

    I  don't know how others feel, but if you are like me, it may be of benefit
    to  state  our  preferences  to  ITEC.  The  producers of ITEC are based in
    Portland.  They  need to poll the attendees to find out what they do and do
    not  want  to  see  in a show and they need to poll the vendors to find out
    what will bring them to Portland. Then they need to correlate the two polls
    and  develop  a show that meets the needs of both groups, instead of simply
    thinking they know best. It doesn't work that way!

    Regards,

    Tom Staskiewicz
    Information Security Officer
    First Consumers National Bank
    ' 503.520.7947

                        "Robert S.
                        Jacobsen"            To:     <crime@private>
                        <cwpcpa@kalam        cc:
                        a.com>               Subject:     RE: CRIME Re: [PLUG] Thanks for making it Easy,
                        Sent by:             ITEC@1:30
                        owner-crime@c
                        s.pdx.edu

                        12/12/02
                        08:05 AM
                        Please
                        respond to
                        cwpcpa

    Did I miss something?  Are you saying that ITEC won't be back next year?
    If
    so, rats!  I don't get out much being here in the sticks, but that is the
    only show I can usually make, though not this year due to major projects at
    work.  Say it ain't so.

    Rob

    Robert S. Jacobsen
    Operator/Network Technician
    Cowlitz Water Pollution Control Plant

    Mailing address           Shipping address
    207 Fourth Ave. North     467 Fiber Way
    Kelso, WA 98626           Longview, WA 98632

    (360)577-2020 voice
    (360)577-2040 voice
    (360)577-2041 fax
    cwpcpa@private