Re: CRIME Microsoft Windows XP question

From: David M. Fetter (dfetter@setec-astronomy.biz)
Date: Wed Jan 01 2003 - 23:05:44 PST

    It is quite feasible to break in or rather reset an administrator
    password in any version of windows.  There are sites and instructions
    all over explaining how to perform password recovery.  If someone has
    physical access to the system it really isn't that difficult.  However,
    it does require little bit of a process which often includes booting off
    of floppy and executing some password reset utility.  So, if she did
    some reconfiguration like that then yes, it wouldn't be hard to do.

    The only real way that I could think to limit that would be to use
    biometrics and disable passwords for all accounts including
    administrator.  Then it's the individuals fingerprint that does the
    authentication.  I myself have purchased and used biometrics from
    www.precisebiometrics.com and it works quite well.  It's also fairly
    affordable at less than $100 for a simple unit.  I believe you would
    need to go to some place like www.cdw.com to order an individual unit,
    because they only sell them in large orders.

    Edward J. Metzler wrote:
    | I recently built a computer for a friend using Windows XP Pro.  I made
    | very sure that I used a nine digit reasonably strong password - number,
    | special character, upper and lower case letters.  I made him the
    | administrator and the only person with an account.  I updated his
    | installation with all of the available XP updates from Microsoft.
    |
    | His daughter, who does not seem to have strong computer knowledge,
    | cracked in and made herself administrator and her login appears on the
    | front screen.  My friend assures me that he has not related his password
    | to his daughter.  He said that she had notes all over as she apparently
    | was trying to break in using various words that she thought her dad
    | might use.  When I asked his daughter how she did it, she said something
    | about reconfiguring the startup....she couldn't remember what she did.
    |
    | Here are my questions:
    | 1. How is it possible to login to Windows XP without knowing the
    | password?
    | 2. What can I do about it?
    |
    | Any ideas out there?
    |
    | Edward J. Metzler
    | aCCredo Corp. -- Proactive Risk Management
    | 13267 SW Bull Mountain Road
    | Tigard, OR 97224
    | Direct: 503-624-2124; Fax: 503-624-5723; Cell: 503-805-7758
    | http://www.accredo.com          emetzler@private
    |
    | This e-mail, including attachments, may include confidential and/or
    | proprietary information, and may be used only by the person or entity to
    | which it is addressed. If the reader of this e-mail is not the intended
    | recipient or his or her authorized agent, the reader is hereby notified
    | that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is
    | prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the
    | sender by replying to this message and delete this e-mail immediately.

    - --
    David M. Fetter (MegaSurge) - http://www.setec-astronomy.biz/

    "The world is full of power and energy and a person can go far by just
    skimming off a tiny bit of it." Neal Stephenson - Snow Crash