RE: CRIME OCIPEP AV03-008 - Microsoft Windows XP Password Vulnera bility

From: Richardson, John (john.richardson@private)
Date: Mon Feb 17 2003 - 17:40:23 PST

    Two comments/questions:

    1.  On laptops, setting the BIOS password can also be used to have the disk
    controller perform disk encryption.  I don't know how strong it REALLY is,
    but at least with IBM laptops, you can send the hard disk out to some outfit
    and for $100 they will return it to you unlocked in a couple of weeks.  That
    does raise the bar a little.

    2.  On XP, and Win2K also, if you use EFS (Encrypting File System) the OS
    will decrypt the files for users with access to the keys.  Does this
    vulnerability hit the system at a level where having the Administrator
    password means you also get the EFS password?

    3.  (so I can't count) I run a product that encrypts the disk below the OS.
    That should help a little with this vulnerability, though I'm sure there are
    many others that it won't protect me from.

    -JR