Re: CRIME OCIPEP AV03-008 - Microsoft Windows XP Password Vulnera bility

From: Seth Arnold (sarnold@private)
Date: Mon Feb 17 2003 - 23:49:19 PST

    On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 05:40:23PM -0800, Richardson, John wrote:
    > 1.  On laptops, setting the BIOS password can also be used to have the disk
    > controller perform disk encryption.  I don't know how strong it REALLY is,
    > but at least with IBM laptops, you can send the hard disk out to some outfit
    > and for $100 they will return it to you unlocked in a couple of weeks.  That
    > does raise the bar a little.

    Note that some PKzip encryption-breaking software has some busy loops
    embedded to give the illusion that the software actually has work to do.
    ("Gee, I paid $50 for this, and it is done in under a second!?!")

    > 2.  On XP, and Win2K also, if you use EFS (Encrypting File System) the OS
    > will decrypt the files for users with access to the keys.  Does this
    > vulnerability hit the system at a level where having the Administrator
    > password means you also get the EFS password?

    As I recall the EFS design, the keys are encrypted with the NTLM hash
    of the login password for the user in question. Changing the password
    outside of the system may very well cause all the data encrypted by the
    account in question to be lost. (Changing the password back to its old
    value will probably result in a different NTML hash, otherwise dictionary
    attacks would probably be far easier, so I'd bet changing the password
    back to the original password would not restore the data.)

    > 3.  (so I can't count) I run a product that encrypts the disk below the OS.
    > That should help a little with this vulnerability, though I'm sure there are
    > many others that it won't protect me from.

    Really? Is it a hardware or software product? (I thought all software
    based products were operating-system dependent, and I don't know of any
    hardware products.)

    --
    "Security for who?" -- Crispin Cowan