Re: CRIME TCPA ideas

From: Seth Arnold (sarnold@private)
Date: Tue Feb 18 2003 - 00:11:27 PST

    On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 05:54:48PM -0800, Shaun Savage wrote:
    > I have aquired a TCPA enabled PC and working to get an Open source
    > program that checks the abilities of the TCPA PC. I was hoping for a
    > hardware crypto accelorator, but it is slow and does not do much except
    > ~ protect the keys.

    IBM has generously released GPL-licensed software to control the TCPA
    chips on their T30 laptops, and potentially other TCPA chips on IBM
    hardware. http://www.research.ibm.com/gsal/tcpa/

    It is _not_ designed as a generic hardware crypto accelerator. You can
    find a list of reasonably cheap hardware accelerators at
    http://www.openbsd.org/crypto.html
    The OpenSSL website may document other choices in the "engine" section
    of their software.

    If you'd like to spend a little more money on crypto accelerators,
    IBM sells a module in use in ATM machines, the 4758; sun has a similar
    offering. Both are PCI devices with microcontrollers and dedicated memory
    and are designed with well-funded attacks in mind. (IBM's 4758 is the
    only device to be certified at FIPS-140 level 4 (one of three devices,
    a second also being an IBM device), though one of Ross Anderson's grad
    students found some flaws in its API a few months ago.)

    3com also has a dedicated crypto nic with embedded firewall built in,
    produced in collaboration with secure computing. GPL drivers are
    available for them, as well. (3c99x, I think is the model name.) It
    won't do SSL acceleration, though. Just VPN-like things.

    > Should TCPA hardware be on the PC's and what right do/should users have
    > in regard to TCPA hardware?

    My .sig, randomly chosen, is rather applicable. :) (In fact, Crispin
    said it in relation to TCPA, but I think it applies rather nicely to
    other fields as well. :)

    Personally, I look forward to getting a TCPA-enabled machine. I want
    a secure bootstrap process that will load a kernel I trust, which will
    load applications I trust. I think TCPA can provide that, but I could be
    wrong about its capabilities in providing secure boot procedures.

    On the other hand, I don't care a whit for Disney's movies, and I don't
    run Word, so my opinion may be biased. I won't lose anything either way.
    Other people might. Check out Ross Anderson's TCPA FAQ.
    http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/tcpa-faq.html

    --
    "Security for who?" -- Crispin Cowan