CRIME Forensic Advice

From: Jimmy Sadri (jimmys@private)
Date: Thu Feb 27 2003 - 11:46:13 PST

    Hi all,

        I need some advice from people on the list in law enforcement and
    computer forensics.
    I recently have been called in to consult a company in certain situation.
    The situation is a disgruntled ex-employee has logged on to a server
    and deleted critical files.  Including his mailbox and websites on the
    webserver.
        I told the systems administrator that if they want to proceed legally
    against the employee they need to use a tool like Encase to make a
    copy of the hard drives, but he is also concerned with recovering the
    deleted information.
        What other advice would you all give in a situation like this?  Especially
    for data recovery of the information that was deleted.  Also, did I leave anything
    out when I advised him of using Encase to secure the hard drive before he goes
    any further?  Another question I have is does it make a difference that the drives
    are a RAID Array?  Just from my limited knowledge of Encase you need an exact
    copy with the same hardware do you not?

    Thanks to all who respond.

    Jimmy

    Jimmy Sadri  CISSP, CCNP,       jimmys@private
    CCDA,  CSS-1, MCSA, MCSE     webmaster@private
    Network Engineer  jimmys@private
    Security Consultant/CBK Instructor  360-992-0525