Re: CRIME What security topics interest you?

From: Crispin Cowan (crispin@private)
Date: Sat Mar 01 2003 - 15:46:58 PST

    Andrew Plato wrote:

    >We're probably going to start with a seminar on Intrusion Prevention
    >Technologies (IPS) sometime in April or early May. IPS technologies are
    >in-line hybrid firewall/IDS type technologies. A lot of people expressed
    >interest in that.

    *Network* intrusion prevention systems are essentially application-level
    firewalls:

        * firewalls inspect traffic from layers 1-4
        * NIPS (Network Intrusion Prevention Systems, an acronym I just made
          up :-) inspect traffic from layers 4-7

    There are also host intrusion prevention systems (Entercept, Okena,
    Immunix).

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.                      http://wirex.com/~crispin/
    Chief Scientist, WireX                    http://wirex.com
    HP/Trend Micro Immunix Secured Solutions
    http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/servers/solutions/iis/
    			    Just say ".Nyet"