RE: CRIME What security topics interest you?

From: Andrew Plato (aplato@private)
Date: Sun Mar 02 2003 - 11:38:01 PST

    That's funny, a few people mentioned Entercept to me. Funny, because
    Anitian was one of the first companies to sell Entercept, but we stopped
    selling Entercept about six months ago.

    I have mixed feelings about Entercept. Entercept's behavior monitoring
    is unique in many ways. I found the technology theoretically compelling,
    but cumbersome and problematic in real-world situations.

    Entercept is quite the memory muncher. It caused some serious
    performance issues on customer's systems.

    Entercept also does no network monitoring whatsoever. An attack has to
    enter the system and actually carry out malicious activity on the system
    before Entercept will even notice it. Another customer of mine put
    Entercept demo on a server and carried out some casual white hat
    hacking. They were able to do A LOT on those systems before Entercept
    reported anything.

    Cisco used to have a relationship with Entercept but recently purchased
    Okena. It seems that even Cisco is losing faith in Entercept as well.

    Personally, I find Okena and RealSecure to be more compelling products.
    Okena is easy to use and very capable. RealSecure is the lightweight,
    bang-for-the-buck leader. $325 per copy for RealSecure Server protector
    (for Windoze) is hard to beat. And ISS has free central management.
    Okena and Entercept charge you for the central manager. You can also use
    Snort signatures with RealSecure. A feature that I use frequently to
    build custom signatures. :-)

    Just my thoughts - opinions, of course.

    Andrew Plato, CISSP
    President / Principal Consultant